Burned...Again

I wrote a similar post about being spiritually burned out about a year ago. That was one of my first posts. Click here to check it out!

I've been involved in student ministries for 6 years now serving faithfully from 7Th to now, 12Th grade. I served in children's ministry for 2 years, and ushered for 2 years (won usher of the year award!) Student ministries is definitely where I had a passion for serving. Since then I've never really been a student. Once I began high school I always put myself in the staff position haha. Its what I do.

I love serving. I love helping. Its what I am passionate about.

"Many hands make light work" I like being those hands that make light work! And we all know I've got hands!!

Now that I seem to be getting closer and closer to the homestretch of my senior year I am flat out exhausted for student ministries, but not just student ministries. Everything. I am not motivated by any means. It emotionally and spiritually hurts me when I can not get excited about serving and helping out. I feel the conviction but I just am struggling in my heart.

What separates this "Burned" from the last one is that I am Burned out on Christianity.

Know a few things first:
1) This does not mean im throwing in the towel on Christianity, that's foolishness.
2) This will not change the way I think about God in anyway.
3) This will not affect the way I process thoughts and make decisions. Don't worry, I will still cross the line with most things I say. (for anyone who doesn't get it, I don't typically think before I speak...It can make for a good laugh, but it gets me in trouble sometimes.
4) I certainly wont stop going to church or riot, that's craziness!

I am just at a place where a christian hates to see themselves at. It happens I understand.

When I got baptised I knew that this crazy thing called Christianity sure wasn't going to make life any easier. I knew my road would have its curves and bumps. At least I'm not doing It alone.

3 comments:

SamanthaMarie said...

Sometimes God needs you to slow down and take a step back from ministry so He can work on you and your heart. It's SO wonderful that you've had a heart to serve all these years, but maybe it's a ripe time for a breather.

Don't hate this time. Embrace it. Press in close to Jesus, He can teach you some amazing things right now (:

I'm just a random passer-by, but know that you have someone praying for you now.

-Samantha

Andrew, your friendly Disciple of Christ said...

Evan,
Good luck, I was at a place slightly similar to your last post on being burned out (not this one) in september, and still kind of am... but like the nice person before me said, perhaps God is opening a new path for you to serve. I am beginning an outreach ministry for the students at riot (with dan), and i'm really excited a out it, so keep your eyes open, and always continue to be the pillar you are.

until next time
Godspeed

Scott Russell said...

Dude, I've totally been there before. I'll just say this—sometimes you have to take a step back to reconnect with the SOURCE of all your generosity, passion, love, and kindness. Only then will you be able to be on fire (and at peace) again. I know when I've been burned out I've somehow begun relying on my own energy and enthusiasm to serve. That only works for a short while.

Love ya, bro! I'm glad to know you and to be serving with you!