Your Not Invincible - When Death Strikes Close

The last time I have been exposed to a funeral or some one close passing away was many years ago when my aunt was in a terrible accident. I was too young to truly understand, at that point I had no faith, which changes death completely.
Christians view death in different ways. We are joyous that a brother or sister is in Heaven, in a better place, hanging out with God. It seems to amazing, but when someone close to you passes away its hard to think about how they are in a better place. For me not having anyone pass away who is truley close to me, I still dont understand... But a fear that hits close to home with me has hit once again.

When I was young, I had some horrible fears:

1. Throwing up - I would never go out to my friends or cousins houses because I didn't want to throw up. I worried I'd get sick when I went on trips. That is no longer a big deal. (even though I cant remember the last time I've thrown up.)
2. Being kidnapped out of my bed - Im sure this was a common fear for many children but I used to lock my door and have a hiding spot ready for when someone wanted me. This is also no longer an issue because I feel bad for anyone who tries to break into my house.
3. My parents dying - This also hindered my from leaving my house when I was younger. This fear definitely stuck around the longest, hands down.

As my teenage years progressed, my fear has withered away...

Today I found out that a very special girl from my church, and a girl whom I was lucky to share the Mexico experience with; her mother has passed away. Although unfortunately I can say I have never met her mother, I am filled with sorrow for Marissa because I could never imagine how she is feeling.
CCV is an amazing community. Its a wonderful place filled with wonderful people. Through out my time there I have met many incredible people. I have met so many different people. Its hard to believe that through out my years there that there has been no death that has been personally close to me. Its easy to forget death when in fact it is something very uncommon for me. Its easy to think, "Im going to heaven one day" but you dont think about the people who are close to you. The people who will eventually die.

Now its easier than ever to realize how I am nothing closely related to invincible. No one is. I guess death is something I have been ignorant about, especially enlisting into the military. Its something no one wants to think about, but now its there.

Death is one thing that can be so painful, but so incredibly beautiful.

Marissa I am sorry that you have to go through this, there are so many people at CCV who care about you so much. We are all here for you. I am truley sorry. We all love you so much

-Evan

2 comments:

Melissa: said...

Evan Flora,

You are such a great blogger! I enjoy reading your posts very much!

Keep it up!

alleigh said...

I agree! You are an amazing writer, and that skill is not given to a lot of people so hold the close to you and dont waste it! You are amazing!