Teenage Relationships Pt 2

If you haven't yet noticed I have changed my design. My attempt was to go creative and look exciting. Moving on...

For those who know me know that I am one of the few teenagers in this country who do not have a cell phone. I know right your probably asking, "how does he survive without one?" Its easy, I just memorize every one's phone numbers and then just take yours when I need to make a call :) Its simple.

Recently I approached someone I am really close to and I asked If it was possible for them to add a line to their family plan, and I pay my expense each month to the family. Its a easy solution to my not having a cell phone problem.

By the end of our conversation that night what I learned is that I did not have the problem, In fact what I learned is that Its most of the other teens with cell phones that have the problem. What my good friend explained to me is that I should remain unplugged from the rest of the cell phone world and be content with what I have. At first I sat there confused and annoyed because I wanted a cell phone and texting just like everyone else, but by the end of the conversation I soon learned how content I am without one. Here is why:

What this person explained to me is that although texting is simple and easy, its not harmless. In fact we discussed how quickly texting can destroy a relationship. He said, "Evan, I cant tell you what to do but I can give you advice. Stay unplugged!!" I sat there still confused but he went on.


"You don't know how luck you truly are..."


I sat there still confused because I didn't realize I could be lucky for being without a cell phone. He then began to explain to me his reasoning.


"Evan if you care about your relationship with Kelsey you wont text with a cell phone. Once you get a cell and start texting her you will then begin to loose a special part of your relationship."

If you don't get it yet then let me put this out there. I've seen too many times a relationship get damaged just by the simple act of texting...Sounds ridiculous, it is, but true. This issue I know only happens for teens because its a simple maturity issue that runs along with it. Far too many times I've witnessed teenagers loose any sense of true communication because of abusing texting. How can you have a healthy relationship if your conversations are over a cell phone screen? If your at a point where you cant communicate well because you simply can not uphold a conversation then I think you have a problem that needs to be fixed. Once you loose communication you lost it all.

If you suppose I am crazy then your simply ignorant. Look around.

I've witness texting alone damage good relationships. Don't get me wrong texting is cool and fun. Heck if your a close friend to me then you know I am notorious for taking cell phones and texting my girlfriend. Too much of something always has negative consequences. Too much alcohol you get wasted, too much pot you look like an idiot, too much catholic church and you become a republican, too much texting you have poor communication.
Its simple don't let texting become the core of your conversation. Please.

For my Teenage Relationships series I've decided to only write on what Ive seen happen the most around me, and I feel this has been an issue. Its ridiculous and slightly pathetic.
I'm sick of this awkwardness! Don't be a texting whore for your sake, and mine.

One Love,

Evan

P.S. - Thanks Noonan

3 comments:

Andrew, your friendly Disciple of Christ said...

interesting points, lookin forward to reading future posts

Anonymous said...

Evan,

You are so right its not even funny! i havent had this happen with a bf, but my cousin got a cell phone and texting and all she ever does is text. i feel like i cant have a normal convo with her anymore without her texting interupting. i make her put it away and not touch it. but i can see where you are coming from with texting destroying relationships.

Anonymous said...

so true. i just happened to stumble across this because i've recently seen the light that texting has taken the life out of my relationship, there's nothing to talk about on the phone or in person because we're always "connected." there's no excitement of what the significant other is doing at the moment, or excitement to talk with them later and ask how their day was, because you're always connected. Also bickering through texts is terrible, something that too has escalated to an unwanted amount. texting=bad if overused, i think it should remain a simple flirty way to say hello etc. Not as a primary means of communication EVER.