Armed Forces: Pros and Cons

Please feel free to comment so I can add things to any part of this post. It will be updated frequently.

I took the past two weeks at school and studied which branch of the military I am most fit for. I sat down with a Recruiter from the Army, Army Reserves, Army National Guard, and Air Force. Here is what is going on in my mindset.

I am not prepared to commit myself to four years of college. I am not ready to type more papers, more homework, more teachers, more classes, and I am certainly not willing to put myself through thousands of dollars of Debt. Its simple, I am just not ready to put myself into school, right away of course.

Since the day I was able to walk I always played with Army men. I had tons of plastic soldiers and tanks and airplanes. My sandpit in my yard is a grave to almost all of them due to a lack of responsibility at age 10. I had fake army equipment and since I could remember I always had a weird interest in Army stuff... What kid really didn't? I guess you could say I never really grew out of it. To this day I strongly admire those in uniform and I can look at a soldier and say, " I would strive to be able to wear that uniform."

If I did Army, I would want to be in infantry. Peoples first reaction, "OMG but you know you'll get shipped to Iraq as soon as your finished training!!"
Umm...Okay? People must think i am an ignorant idiot to not understand that. I seem to be fearless of ever being shipped somewhere. Let me repeat that for you. FEARLESS. NOT IGNORANT. If you tell me I dont understand the risks of War then I think I might have to hurt you. I've always lived my life angry at my lack of commitment, my lack of discipline and my lack of pushing myself physically and mentally. Honestly, what better way to defeat and overcome those issues?

Here are a few things that I've come up with as I have learned more and more about each program;

Pros of Army:
-Discipline
-Learn respect for Authority (I lack this sometimes)
-I truly believe I will get excitement.
-I'll be able to put on the uniform I've always admired
-Travel
-Learn Leadership
-Learn survival
-Physically and emotionally be strong
-Have my faith tested like never before
-guaranteed contract of desired Job
-Face it, I'm gonna be a badass

Cons of Army:
-Family and loved ones worry
-Potentially loose life
-Potentially loose body parts or usage
-Get yelled at endlessly
-Leave loved ones for 2 years
-Really upset my mom :(
-Less support from loved ones

Pros of Airforce:
-treated more like profession
-off base activities
-higher monthly pay
-$80,000 for school
-own dorm room that is treated like college-life
-Treated better
-High quality of treatment and base life
-Discipline
-On campus schooling along with 100% funded off campus classes
-Travel to base of choice (not 100% guaranteed)

Cons of Airforce:
-4 years away instead of Two
-Not guaranteed specific profession
-Would never see any action
-I don't want to be a cop
-Not as badass
-Less challenging physically and mentally
-upset my mom, but not as much as Army

There are still things I am battling with:
*Would God want a follower of his to be in War?
*Is this even Gods plan for me?
*If not the Military then what?

Either way I have my papers, I have all the information I need, and I've talked to all the right people. Now its giving things time and prayer.

A packet the army sent me, the outside said this. I don't believe its just nonsense propaganda, Its a statement that I believe is absolutely true. It said, "

"We wont lie to you, the Army is the most challenging thing you will ever face in your life. It will be the most physically and emotionally demanding thing you will experience in your life. Imagine what you can do in your life when you've already conquered the most challenging thing ever"

Thanks guys, please comment, I will add things and definitely fit your feedback into this post.

One Love,
Evan

3 comments:

Tina said...

Well, Evan, you know where I stand on this. I'm with your Mom and I don't want you to go anywhere. Having said that, let me just say that whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be a great move for you. You will grow and mature like you never would have if you didn't join the service.
As for your Pros and Cons list, I think all of the pros you listed for the army can be said for the AF as well. So maybe the pros for the Air Force should say "in addition to those of the Army"
And I din't realize you would only be gone for 2 years with the Army. I would confirm this one. I have known A LOT of people in the army and they never had a tour shorter that 3 years. No matter which way you go, you will be gone from here for a LONG time, as there are no Army or AF bases close by here. (unless you're thinking Reserves)
I admire you for putting so much thought into this. I'm sure you will make the right choice and I am praying for you!

Andrew, your friendly Disciple of Christ said...

Well man, its up to you and God, just a question, why no consideration for navy. That has always been my favorite branch of military for their honor and pride. just wondering. Though i'm sure you already have, try finding some vets from each branch and talk to them, that could help you decide and give you a realistic view of what life is like.

Anonymous said...

Short and sweet...
Of course I don't want you to leave, especially to go into the Army. But, I know you have put a lot of thought and time into this and I will no doubt support your decision.
One thing you should know... if you do go, you will most definitely be missed!

I'm keeping you in my prayers.